The Old Koga Bank
The Old Koga Bank was established at Hasuike town, Saga county in 1885 by Zenpei Koga as a cash exchange business.
In 1906, new central branch of it was built in further easterly direction, Hasuike town, Saga City.
It was the appearance of a Western-style plasterwork at first, but enlarged a
building greatly in the west in 1916, moreover, changed its appearance to tiling.
This made the renovated bank stately building.
It has been designated as Saga city
important cultural property and becomes Saga historical Museum at the present day.
By around 1919 it had grown to the point where it was considered one of the top banks in Kyushu.
In 1926, however, it was forced to close due to a chronic depression since 1920.
The Bank came to be decided dissolution in September, 1933.
It was used afterwards as the Chamber of Commerce of Saga from 1934 to 1954, the Hall of Labor in Saga until 1986, and headquarters ofAll Japan Prefectural and Municipal Workers' Union in Saga;subsequently owned by Saga City.
The central branch of the Old Koga Bank decorated its surface with a form called brick tiling which has stone band, aimed to “modern architecture” –like in Meiji/ Taisho-era.
It is likely to say that it is important historical asset on knowing the process of penetrating modern architecture into rural areas.